How much time do you spend on Facebook and Instagram?
Social networking sites Facebook and
Instagram are now launching a new tool that will allow people to know how much
time they have spent on these apps.
The announcement comes amid concerns
that excessive use of social media can have a devastating effect on a person's
mental health.
Users will now know how long they
scrolled on social media. Now they can also put reminders on their apps to
remind them that they have completed the allotted time and they can also turn
off the notification sound for a while.
But some people think that it will not
be very useful.
Speaking on the BBC's Newsbeat
program, Grant Blank of the Oxford Internet Institute said: "I'm not
saying this is a big change or the way people use Facebook and Instagram.
Something is going to change. ‘
He thinks it's also a way to get
people interested in his business to keep people on Facebook. This will still
be helpful for people who are disturbed by too many notifications.
Facebook posted a blog post in
December 2017 acknowledging the negative effects of spending too much time on
it.
Another experiment was performed on
students at the University of Michigan in the United States. Meanwhile,
students who were asked to scroll through Facebook for 10 minutes had a worse
mood at the end of the day than students who were asked to talk to their
friends or post something.
Another study from the University of
San Diego and Yale in the US found that people who liked a lot of posts twice
or those who opened a lot of links four times had better mental health.
Understood more of the problem than others.
Waste of time
Lifestyle villager M. Sheldon, 24,
told Newsbeat that checking in on her friend is a chore all day.
"I think that's part of the job.
I think this has become a problem. We are starting to rely on our phone and
social media to keep an eye on it.
"For me, social media is a
24-hour job. But I think it takes a lot of time. I just want to be consistent.
"
"I don't know how helpful this
new tool will be because I know I use social media a lot," she said.
But he agrees that notifications for
reminders can help.
"Maybe it will force me to hang
up now."
"If someone reminds me you've
been using this app for six hours, I'll say wow, that's too much," she
says. What a waste of time.
Harry Hugo, co-founder of digital
marketing company Da Got Agency, says the changes have been needed for a long
time.
'After being exposed to mental
problems. Especially young people who spend a lot of time on platforms.
"It's very important that we put things in their place to help us set
boundaries."
He thinks that if people realize that
they are spending hours on these platforms, then maybe they will think twice
while using them.
Harry says he used to use Twitter for
15 to 16 hours as a teenager and now when he thinks about it, he realizes how
unhealthy he was.
He says it's up to people to control
how they use social media.
"We are the ones who open the
phone. We are the ones who have a finger on Instagram. We can't put all this in
the hands of Apple and Facebook to solve these problems.



Comments